Tour of Indonesia with JROTC


International Education Week was done in last November. I did 4 presentations for Human Geography Class and 1 for a a church community. They were pretty good, because I had no big audience. Just like a couple of small classes which was really nice to have a discussion or even live conversation.

So, I thought my duty was done, because to do a presentation in English took a lot of courage for me at first. However, it ended up being really fun. But, one day one of my teacher from JROTC class, First Sergeant Mike Braccio, told me that he heard about my presentation last November. Then he said that if I want to, I could do the same presentation in JROTC class. I was surprised and wondering how did he know about this. Anyhow, at that time I was excited, too. Because, if I take this opportunity, I will share the Indonesian cultural things to more people. It means good for me, my country, and definitely American. I didn’t have to do that, but I had a desire and it just told me that I should do this.

On Wednesday, January 27th, I did the presentation from 1st period all the way through 5th period (Now I know how tired being a teacher is, speaking the same thing for the whole day!). I made the presentation like a tour to Indonesia. I brought them across the islands. The first period was warming up for me, followed by the 2nd, the 3rd, 4th and the 5th period which were more interesting. And I was fired up for that. Not nervous anymore. Just like talking to friends and they are actually really nice and respectful. I realized that I can speak English much better and fluently than when I first came to USA.

JROTC is my favourite class in high school. As the cadets, we learn about leadership, self discipline and work with a team. I have two teachers, they are Lieutenant Colonel McGlamry and First Sergeant Braccio. We are not only doing class activities, drill and reading book, but also a lot of fun things. I like doing outdoor activities, and they have Camp Flaming Aero coming up, orienteering and some competitions. In my first semester, I didn’t do a lot of things in this class, only marksmanship (which is really cool). But I will try to come up with some of those things for this semester.

I have a lot of nice friends there. I learn about America from them. I really like JROTC. I also would like to say thanks a lot to Colonel McGlamry and First Sergeant Braccio for the opportunity to attend JROTC, also for the presentation things that I did. Hopefully you enjoyed it (I know you did) and I believe this would be really beneficial for all of us. One more thing, this presentation really motivates me to be a better citizen (To motivate young people to be a better citizen is the motto of JROTC).

Comments